The Lounge > Nutrition >
Check out the benefits of Carrots
LA Muscle Nutrition: Carrots
Carrots provide a number of health benefits including;
- Improved Vision: Carrots are rich in beta-carotene, which is converted into vitamin A in the liver. Vitamin A is transformed in the retina, to rhodopsin, a purple pigment necessary for night vision. Beta-carotene has also been shown to protect against macular degeneration and senile cataracts. A study found that people who eat the most beta-carotene had 40 percent lower risk of macular degeneration than those who consumed little.
- Cancer Prevention: Studies have shown carrots reduce the risk of lung cancer, breast cancer and colon cancer. Researchers have just discovered falcarinol and falcarindiol which they feel cause the anticancer properties.
- Anti-Aging: The high level of beta-carotene acts as an antioxidant to cell damage done to the body through regular metabolism. It helps slows down the aging of cells.
- Healthy Glowing Skin (from the inside): Vitamin A and antioxidants protects the skin from sun damage. Deficiencies of vitamin A cause dryness to the skin, hair and nails. Vitamin A prevents premature wrinkling, acne, dry skin, pigmentation, blemishes, and uneven skin tone.
- A Powerful Antiseptic: Carrots are known by herbalists to prevent infection. They can be used on cuts – shredded raw or boiled and mashed.
- Beautiful Skin (from the outside): Carrots are used as an inexpensive and very convenient facial mask. Just mix grated carrot with a bit of honey. See the full recipe here: carrot face mask.
- Prevent Heart Disease: Studies show that diets high in carotenoids are associated with a lower risk of heart disease. Carrots have not only beta-carotene but also alpha-carotene and lutein The regular consumption of carrots also reduces cholesterol levels because the soluble fibers in carrots bind with bile acids.
- Cleanse the Body
Vitamin A assists the liver in flushing out the toxins from the body. It reduces the bile and fat in the liver. The fibres present in carrots help clean out the colon and hasten waste movement.
- Healthy Teeth and Gums: It’s all in the crunch! Carrots clean your teeth and mouth. They scrape off plaque and food particles just like toothbrushes or toothpaste. Carrots stimulate gums and trigger a lot of saliva, which being alkaline, balances out the acid-forming, cavity-forming bacteria. The minerals in carrots prevent tooth damage.
- Prevent Stroke: From all the above benefits it is no surprise that in a Harvard University study, people who ate more th
Carrots are packed wih Vitamins A, K, C, Fibre, Potassium, Manganese, Molybdenum and Vitamin B3.
Best Eaten: Raw by itself, mixed with other vegetables or boiled.