By D.C Irvine, Qualified PT
Today I was in Tesco (British Supermarket) getting some stuff and I overhead two of the assistants talking about going to the gym and taking protein powder. They mentioned the brand they were taking and discussing its merits – yes it took forever to go through checkout as they wouldn’t shut up!
I couldn’t help but to notice that they were 2 skinny guys with absolutely no muscle and that I had heard them having a similar conversation some 3 months ago.
One would have thought that after 3 months of going to the gym and taking protein powders, they would make at least “some” progress. If anything, I would even say they were smaller in size!
This got me thinking, how many people out there take protein powders and supplements and out of them how many use them correctly, train correctly, get results or more importantly believe they will get results? Do they just take supplements because they have heard or been told to take them? Do they truly believe in their heart of hearts that they will work or are they just going through the motions?
Part of any path to putting on muscles is to actually have a strategy in terms of training, diet and supplementation. If you are just going with the flow and taking any old protein powder because you think it is what you are “supposed” to do, then you are doomed for failure.
First, get your training right
If you are going to the gym without a plan, without a diary, without increasing weights or intensity at each and every session then you are not going to look any different in 3 or 6 months’ time. This is a guarantee.
You have to have a plan. Your plan should include but not be limited to the following:
- Increasing the weight on each exercise, every week
- Reducing the time spent doing the exercises i.e. less rest period
- Doing more in the time allowed with more intensity
- Incorporating heavy, compound movements as well as some shaping ones such as cable curls
- Not over-training but feeling strong before each session
- Doing a split routine so your body parts recover i.e. hit them every 5-7 days, so Monday: Chest, Triceps then hit Chest and Triceps again on Saturday or the following Monday
Take the right supplements that give you results
It is absolutely no point wasting your money on supplements if they are not producing results for you. This is very important. Never take a supplement and continue to take it if it has not produced results over and above what you would normally see after 4 weeks.
This is where LA Muscle supplements differ from the normal stuff you can pick up in supermarkets. Never buy a supplement because you saw it in a shop and it was cheap! Do your own research or go for a trusted brand like LA Muscle. Every LA Muscle supplement comes with a 100% money back guarantee and they really and truly produce noticeable and significant results for you.
Typically, the following is the sort of things you should expect from supplements. If you are not getting the following results, then there is something very wrong with your training, diet or the supplement itself. LA Whey Protein
– This will typically start changing your shape. You will have less fat, less water retention, recover faster for your next session and start seeing more muscle within around 2 weeks. Your strength should be up too. If your current protein does not do this, then it is no point taking it as you will just be wasting your money. Norateen Heavyweight II
– You will see a big increase in strength usually within 3-20 days (depending on the person). After about a month, you should be pushing at least 20-30% more weight than you were previously doing. For many, this will be even more. As long as you are taking in high amounts of protein, you will also see a huge change in your body. This is most noticeable in the mirror with more muscle mass, definition and less body fat. If your current muscle building pills are not doing this and the results are “touch and go” then they are not working! Don’t settle for “maybe”. Set your standards at “definitely”; this is the LA Muscle standard. Explosive Creatine
– This is a very powerful Creatine. Typically you should be at least 10% stronger in the gym within 1-2 days and you will start putting on muscle size within a week. If your current Creatine does not do this, then you are wasting your money.
These are just some examples. Get your training right and start taking the correct supplements and you will see such a big difference.
I feel sorry for people that desperately want that muscle size but never really plan for it in the gym or take any old protein powder hoping something will happen. It won’t. YOU need to make it happen. Set, plan, execute.